Life goes on.
This is an entry I had not planned on making. I will be taking a break from the Volunteer Village for a couple of days. My father died Saturday and I will be joining the family gathering to celebrate his life. I leave Mississippi tomorrow to travel to Colville, Washington and will return to the Village Saturday evening. In the meantime the camp will be tended by my able assistant and a member of the PDA National Team who was pressed into service. The number of volunteers is low and I am comfortable with the way the camp is taking shape. With the help of my assistant, I have been working to establish a visible and practical file plan, both paper and electronic. My goal is to have procedures and files such that a rookie could walk in and keep their head above water. I just hadn't expected to try it out so soon, but life goes on.
The shock of learning of a loved one's passing is never easy, and if I couldn't be at home then the next best place to be was with a group of friends who will cry with you and hold you and pray with you. I had only known the team from Saint Andrew Presbyterian Church in Tucson, Arizona for a week. They have already returned home, but the time they consoled me in my loss was precious. Thank you, my friends. Life goes on.
My father was a man of contradictions, as we all are, I suppose. He was a preacher whose life was wrapped around words; yet he was a man of few words. He was a man whose voice and demeanor struck fear into the hearts of the uninitiated; but whose dry wit and twinkling eyes brought tears of laughter to those who knew him. He was a country boy from the northern reaches of Wyoming; yet he traveled the world and he savored the beauty of a J. S. Bach organ fugue and he heard the divine in Oliver Wendell Holmes' "The Chambered Nautilus." He was a man of the world; but he is a child of God. Life goes on.
iXs,
the Rev


5 Comments:
So sorry to hear of your father's passing. Please accept our deepest sympathy. David and Mary Anne Flinn
I know you are traveling today. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family this week.
Joyce G.
I'm so sorry, Rev. Bird. I hope you and your family find comfort in the celebrating of your father's life as you come together at this time.
rb
Pastor, we were so sadened yet blessed to hear of your fathers entrance into heaven. Ruth and I have both lost our fathers and know something of your loss.
Things are going as well as can be expected when the main shepherd is away. You have heard of Fred's passing as well, I am sure.
The Lord keep your well and safe.
- Don
Stephen,
Wanted to let you know your Blog is great. Dorene and I will keep up with your adventures and if you have any questions please give us a call. Love the dry wit.
Chick and Dorene,
Home phone 919-620-0156
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home