Friday, January 13, 2006

Stepping up, speaking out, and iXs

Stepping up: One of the gratifying aspects of my planned trip has been watching how leaders and members of the church have risen to the occasion of my imminent departure. One approach could have led folks to mentally and spiritually tread water for the nearly two months I will be absent. However, in a variety of ways the Elders and Deacons of Valmont Church have taken the lead to make certain the church doesn’t miss a beat while I am gone. The approach they have chosen is that “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” (1 Peter 4:10) At its best a church is not pastor-centric, but Christo-centric, that is, members “are the body of Christ, and each one is a part of it.” (1 Corinthians 12:27) Valmont Church is in good hands.

Speaking out: One of the desired outcomes of my trip is to increase (or revive) awareness of the need to continue aid to the victims of the hurricanes. Aside from the massive clean-up needed after the storms, the reconstruction will go on for years. So I was pleased that the Boulder Daily Camera interviewed me and will do a follow-up interview after I arrive in Mississippi. They plan to run the story in their “Living & Arts” section on Jan 20th or 21st. I also was asked to speak at a local Optimists club and they want to have a slide presentation after I return. (If you are just joining the blog, I encourage you to hit Presbyterian Disaster Assistance to find out how you may contribute time or money – 100% goes to directly to relief work.)

And iXs: Some people have asked me about my closing, “iXs.” It’s my shorthand for "in Christ's service." In Greek the word Christ (Xpisto, pronounced Kreesto) begins with the letter X (Chi). Probably because they didn't have word processors in the ancient world, the first letter was often used to abbreviate a name. Also, the first word or two of a longer prayer or liturgy were used to name the whole thing - hence what many call the Lord's Prayer is also known as the "Our Father." That's where the term "Xmas" came from, not just that folks were too lazy to write it out.

While we're on the subject. (This is for extra credit.) You may have noticed XP on some crosses or Communion tables. In Greek X & P (Chi & Rho) are the first two letters of the word Christ.

iXs,
the Rev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home