Where am I going?
I still don’t know exactly where I am going to be assigned. However, I did receive a morsel of information today from PDA. New Volunteer Villages are being established so things are in flux. Also, they have decided that as the camps grow, it will be a good idea to try to assign managers in pairs, so they are trying to match managers with appropriate skills. It boils down to – my destination is southern Mississippi or Louisiana.
I am comfortable with that, as long as I know where to show up on January 18th. The preparation is the same. It’s the same drill as a USAF deployment to an undesignated, bare-base location. You pack our bags to prepare for the region assigned, get your shots – and wait. (Note to self: Pay my doctor a visit and get a Tetanus shot.) Other than satisfying one’s curiosity about the destination, the assignment and preparation remain the same.
[By the way, I should explain that in a previous existence I spent 20 years in the U.S. Air Force, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel. Most of my career was in logistics/aircraft maintenance. During my time with (what were then called) Military Airlift Command and Air Rescue Service we deployed regularly to a wide variety of locations, in varying conditions, throughout the world.]
As the plan stands now, I will be departing Boulder, Colorado early January 17th and driving to my work site, arriving January 18th. I may have to make an intermediate stop for orientation/training, or that may happen at the work site. My boss has promised that I will receive some introduction, but I expect most of my training will be on-the-job training, i.e. attending the School of Hard Knocks. I will return to Boulder on February 19th.
iXs,
the Rev


1 Comments:
Way cool. I think this is a great way to post your news and to communicate to all of us.
Joyce
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home