Monday, January 09, 2006

Marching Orders

At last! I have received my assignment. I will be going to D’Iberville, Mississippi (pronounced Dee-Eye-ber-vil). D’Iberville is on the eastern gulf coast of Mississippi, a few miles north of Biloxi. The D’Iberville Volunteer Village was the second one established by Presbyterian Disaster Assistance after the hurricane, so it is fairly well established.

There is more good news. I won’t be living in a tent. The manager who is preceding me (and who, I assume, will return after my stint) has parked his motor home on site to use as office/quarters for the Volunteer Village manager. That is welcome news for many reasons, which I’m sure I don’t have to detail. As much as I give my wife a hard time for not enjoying “roughing it,” I was not looking forward to spending a month in a tent in cold, rainy south Mississippi. (According to the meteorological data I found, it rains 6-7 inches per month in January and February, with low temperatures in the low 40’s and high 30’s.) So, I will have to review my packing list and return some of the camping items that were graciously loaned by several friends.

Right now I’m beginning to feel a little stressed out. I still have to do all those zillions of things that need to be done before one leaves on a long trip – both to prepare for the trip and to tie up loose ends at church and home. I’m trying to cram a month’s worth of meetings, activities and projects into the first two weeks of the month. I’ll be ready for a nice long road trip, just to relax and unwind. (Note to self: pick up a bunch of books on tape.)

I will leave early Tuesday morning, January 17th, planning on making it to Wichita Falls or Dallas, Texas. Then on to D’Iberville the next day. I hope to arrive at the site before sunset, so I can get the lay of the land the first day. The man I am relieving will leave January 19th, after giving me a quick orientation.

iXs,
the Rev

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rev! I've listed you blog as a "favorite" so I can pull it up easily and keep up to date on your work and adventures. Thanks for including all of us!

Debbie S

 
At 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't checked this out yet, but this is great! Does your car have a CD player? If so, I have a couple of "books on CD" that you can borrow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home