Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Another Rainy Day

I don't want to sound like I'm whining, because I'm not - after all I'm warm and dry in my trailer - but camping in the rain is the pits. We had heavy showers last night and I'm not talking about the showers at the YMCA, so the camp and the huts) flooded. The citizens of "Camp New Hope" woke up with standing water on their floors, but they cope. The camp maintenance detail hit the huts with the wet-vac while the others went off to hammer and nurse and cook.


The good news is that lumber has been ordered and should arrive tommorrow. Then we'll start making platforms to raise the huts.

The dining tent (above) did arrive Sunday afternoon. (Yea!) However the spot I selected was not without its drawbacks - but the fire ant colony in the tent met its demise, I've ordered Cedar mulch for the swamp inside the tent and set up a heater to make that tent more hospitable (and maybe dry out the mud.) It's supposed to drop into the low 30's tonight and tommorrow.


Notice anything unusual about this tent (above). It is from China, part of the world-wide response to the disaster. I am told there were also Mexicn Army and Marines helping with the clean-up.

So the work goes on. As Annie says, the sun does come out tomorrow (which was actually today.) Today was gorgeous - sunny and warm. The camp is starting to drain and dry.



A beautiful end to a beautiful day. If I stood at the right spot behind the peaks of the dining tent and squinted my eyes, I could pretend it was a georgeous Rocky Mountain sunset.

iXs,
the Rev

1 Comments:

At 10:38 AM , Blogger ACB said...

Just a note to say I love you and am proud of you, Dad!

Also, for some reason my phone didn't hold on to the number of your "camp director" phone, so will you call me again?

Stay dry!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home