Sunday, January 22, 2006

An Object Lesson

In a previous entry I mentioned that I was interviewed by the Boulder Daily Camera. Yesterday they published the article. If you would like to read it, hit this link: "Answering the Call." (You may have to register, at no fee.) Kudos to Cindy Sutter and the Camera. I believe they accurately conveyed the content of our interview and the purpose of my sabbatical. I hope it generates some interest in the work being done here.

I worshiped at Ocean Springs First Presbyterian Church today. The church building was spared - they had flooding in the basement, but the debris line stopped at the church steps. After church I talked with a man who, with his wife, clung to a tree for three and a half hours to escape the rising tidal surge. The trunk split down the middle and they had to keep climbing higher to stay above the flood. This is what we sang during worship:

While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread,
be Thou my Guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray from Thee aside.

We may be coming down to clean out muck and hammer sheet rock, but what an object lesson we receive each day from the people who in the midst of their sorrow and grief are able to let the loving God wipe their tears as they walk in faith.

iXs,
the Rev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home