Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Color Blue

Blue is the new "official color" of the Gulf Coast. One see blue tarps everywhere. I set out one day to collect images of tarps. There was no end to the search, I just wore down. Every time I took a photo, I turned around and there was another blue tarp. The frightening thing is that a lot of roofs have been rebuilt and repaired in the last five months. One can see many new roofs, but the color that still sticks out is blue.






































































Blue is the color of tragedy and disaster. But blue is also the color of determination and perseverance. Blue says, "There is life here! We have not given up." Blue shows that the people below that cover are looking to the future.

Blue is also the color of service. Blue is the color of volunteers from all over the United Sates coming to work for a week or two with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. PDA volunteers find that they may come to fix houses, but in the process their lives are touched by the stories of the people whose live they are helping to piece back together. To come to volunteer in the Gulf is to be moved deeply. One leaves a changed person, profoundly grateful to the people who allowed them to come into their homes and share in this work with them.


iXs,
the Rev

p.s. Kathryn, my replacement, has said she feels comfortable enough that I can take the day off today and go out with a work team. Yea!! 83

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Stephen. You have really helped us see a little bit through your eyes. Some Scene!!

Enjoy banging nails. It's gotta be good for the soul and the body after what you have been through.

Love you, guy!

Stu & Edith

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home