First Impressions
Sorry for the delay, I have been trying to stay ahead of a cold and decided I needed to go to sleep yesterday. So I took a nap and went to bed early. Feeling better today.
Dottyanne and I did the HR thing yesterday - mugshots, forms, took a tour, etc. Now we have our ID badges and can walk around unsupervised. I have been mildly surprised by the attention to security here. Everybody must get an ID badge.
Safety of kids is a big deal at JAARS, Dottyanne had to test for and received a special ID badge clearing her to work with the kids. I have another type of badge for the aircraft maintenance building and flightline. But I am not fully certified until my drug test comes back. (FAA aviation rules are a big deal here as well.)
So my second impression is one of frustration. I have had to sit around yesterday afternoon and today feeling very unproductive. I am discovering the frustration of force feeding - learning the civilian maintenance system, FAA rules, out of the field for 20 years, plus everything is computerized now! I have been doing a ton of reading boring regulations and procedures (seminary prepared me well for this part anyway!)
I did get to help push an airplane into the hangar. That was fun. And the Aviation Maintenance Manager did mention in passing something about issuing me a toolbox! That was unexpected (and maybe a little scary), but I know they will keep me on a short leash. That would be cool to actually get to do some hands-on work on an actual aircraft!
My last first impression is the dedication and enthusiasm of everyone we meet here. Without exception everyone we talk to leaves you with the impression that they don't see themselves as an HR rep or a volunteer tour guide or an aircraft maintenance technician, but they are missionaries translating God's word into all the languages of the world.
That's a pretty neat feeling. We're missionaries.
iXs,
The Rev


2 Comments:
Rev,
What kind of aircraft do they have there?
Dave
Good question. I will have photos soon.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home